Spring has sprung! Warm weather reminds us of taking care of those things we put off during winter months. If you are a procrastinator like me, these items are still on your to do list…..
1. Dryer. Clean the exhaust duct and space under the dryer, and get rid of all dust and lint. Lint, if left in your dryer over time, can heat up and catch fire. Not to mention the soft lint provides nice nesting material for insects and unwanted animals.
2. Gutters. Clean your gutters, drains and downspouts so that heavy spring rains can flow freely off your roof. Clogged gutters can also back up causing leaks in your roof and rotten fascia boards. Over time, the weight of the debris in the gutters can also cause the gutters to separate from the wood on your home, creating a hazard.
3. Furnace. Replace the air filter regularly. A dirty one can restrict airflow and in turn overwork the furnace, increasing the risk of a carbon monoxide leak. CHECK FOR GAS LEAKS EVERY YEAR>
4. Trees. Prune dead branches so they don’t snap off during fierce seasonal winds.
5. Fireplace. Examine the exterior of the chimney for any signs of damage. Have the flue cleaned and inspected by a certified chimney sweep. Suit from your chimney may be extremely flammable and unless cleaned, could pose a hazard.
6. Sump pump. If you have one in your basement, test it to be sure it’s clean and operable and that the outflow is draining properly.
7. Battery check. Make sure all your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors have new batteries.
Keep your family safe and take precautionary measures to reduce bodily injury or property damage. Have a safe spring.
From your friends at ABM Insurance & Benefit Services Inc.