Our thoughts and prayers go out to those affected by the Flooding in Houston, Texas and surrounding areas. We have not seen flooding like this in the Houston area since Tropical Storm Allison in 2001.
As flood waters continue to rise, we expect to see more damage to property. If you are a policy holder with us, we are here to assist you with your claim. There are a few things we would suggest during the chaotic time:
- Do not drive on flooded streets. It does not take very much water to lift the weight of a car and carry it with a current.
- If you have water damage to your home, and it is safe to do so, remove the wet, damaged material to prevent mildew and mold and use fans to help dry the area - as soon as possible.
- Bleach and Water solution can be used on water damaged walls to prevent / control the mold and mildew that results from flood damaged property.
- Do not allow children to play in flooded streets. While it might seem fun, danger lurks in the murky flood waters (Snakes, Glass and open storm drains with currents swift enough to pull small children down).
- If you have Flood Insurance, call your insurance provider immediately to start the claims process.
- Be wary of contractors. Following a disaster such as we have experienced, there may be unscrupulous contractors trying to contact you -- it may be best to avoid anyone contacting you directly for work. Please be very cautious and check references before you make an agreement to pay anyone anything.
We hope everyone stays safe and welcome any questions you may have. If you would like additional information regarding the Federal Program regarding Flood Insurance ,FEMA, click here for a helpful booklet or CLICK HERE for additional information. You can always reach us at 800-362-2809.
Flood Disaster Preparedness